A number of us in the effort to save energy and money, changed our old conventional light bulbs with environmentally-friendly new generation energy conserving light bulbs, known as a compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL). However, the new generation of energy efficient light bulbs are so toxic that the United States Environmental Protection Agency produced an emergency protocol you have to follow in the event of a bulb breakage, due to the toxin gas that is released. If busted indoors, these light bulbs release 20 times the acceptable mercury concentration into the air, according to a research study carried out by scientists from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German's Federal Environment Company.
Energy Effective Light Bulbs Can Trigger:
- Cluster headaches
- Migraine headaches
- Failure to concentrate
- Energy Efficient Bulbs Trigger Stress and anxiety, Migraines, and Even Cancer. Reasons to Return To Incandescent Bulbs
1. Energy saving bulbs contain mercury. Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that is specifically hazardous to children and pregnant ladies. It is specifically harmful to the brain, the nervous system, the liver and the kidneys. It can likewise harm the cardiovascular, immune and reproductive systems. It can lead result in tremors, stress and anxiety, sleeping disorders, amnesia, headaches, cancer and Alzheimer's.
2. Energy saving bulbs can trigger cancer.
A brand-new study carried out by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany's Alab Lab discovered these light bulbs consist of dangerous carcinogens that could trigger cancer:
Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline strong, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture.
Naphthalene, an unpredictable white crystalline compound, produced by the purification of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a basic material for chemical manufacture.
Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, acquired as a petroleum byproduct.
3. Energy conserving light bulbs produce a lot of UV rays.
Energy saving lamps release UV-B and traces of UV-C radiation. It is usually acknowledged that UV-radiation is damaging for the skin (can lead to skin cancer) and the eyes. The radiation from these bulbs straight attacks the immune system, and additionally harms the skin tissues enough to avoid the proper development of vitamin D-3.
So regardless of the energy and expense savings, these light bulbs posture severe health dangers and you may want to change back to regular incandescent bulbs. However beware while doing so. If one takes place to break, the dangers are so severe that the EPA has set out a very detailed procedure to deal with the mercury and cancer-causing chemicals, which you can check out listed below:
The Authorities E.P.A. Broken Bulb Clean-up Procedure
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the following emergency treatment must be followed in case of a bulb damage, due to the toxin gas that is launched.
Prior to Cleanup
Have home owner and family pets leave the space.
Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
Shut off the main forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
Gather materials had to tidy up busted bulb:
Stiff paper or cardboard
Damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surface areas).
A glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.
DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not suggested unless broken glass continues to be after all other clean-up actions have actually been taken. Vacuuming might spread out mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
Be thorough in picking up damaged glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to get any staying little glass pieces and powder. Place the used tape in the glass container or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions to find out more, and for distinctions in cleaning up difficult surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
Location cleanup materials in a sealable container.
Promptly place all bulb debris and clean-up materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or secured location till materials can be disposed of. Prevent leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup products inside.
Next, talk to your city government about disposal requirements in your area, because some areas need fluorescent bulbs (busted or unbroken) be required to a regional recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your location, you can throw away the materials with your home garbage.
If practical, remain to air out the space where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut down for several hours.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article. If you found this information helpful, please share it with your friends and family. Your support in our endeavor of sharing free information would be much appreciated.
You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to Deprogram Yourself